Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I asked my Mom if she would write something that I could put up in my blog about their trip and experiences in Australia. Her words are in italics...

G'Day Mates,

Mary wanted some comments from us for her blog. I can't do it nearly as well as she, but here goes.

I woke up this a.m. to yet another beautiful, sunshiny day and yet another self-imposed tour (the Blue Mountains today). I stumbled into the bathroom, mumbling, and when Ben asked what I was saying, I mumbled louder, "I'm tired of being a tourist." We've met people traveling for a month around Australia (You need at least that) and some going around the world (I wonder how long that takes).

All this being said, this has been the trip of a lifetime.

Sydney is a breathtakingly beautiful city (especially if you love the ocean as we do)! We are steps from Circular Quay (pronounced "key") with 5 wharfs taking people all over the city on ferries, water taxis and sight-seeing cruises.

The Opera House and the Harbour (Australian/British spelling) Bridge are the beautiful, anchor sights you see upon entering or leaving the Harbour.

We are staying in an old, old hotel in the oldest part of the city - "The Rocks"

We are a walk or ferry ride from everything, including Mary & Jeff who live in Darling Harbour, which is a more lively, updated part of the city. I think of this part as a darling little child although it is really named after one of the early Governors of Australia. Darling Harbour reminds me very much of Epcot. We've had only one brief visit to their apartment so I guess the clean up detail was something they didn't want to repeat.

Sidenote: We keep the apartment absolutely immaculate at all times...just wanted to save my parents the trouble of traveling out to our place all the time, yeah that's the ticket

I'm thinking this is probably not what Mary envisioned when she asked me for comments for her blog.

We have seen many, many wonderful sights here in Sydney and after two weeks I feel I know it well! Ben has taken a picture of just about everything with his new digital camera so you will be bored, I mean entranced by it all.

One last note, Australia is a very expensive place to visit, but we are so impressed with what we get for our money. Everything is well done, well-planned out and all so civilized.

They serve coffee in china cups most everywhere (no styrofoam except starbucks) and 1/2 flush for you know what and a full flush for the other. See you soon.

Love,
Barb

2 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Barbie!!!
i am so glad that you and Uncle Ben are enjoying your time in Sydney. Much like Mary Kay has been, you two have now been the talk of every get together... everyone can't wait to hear all about it. i had a dream that you guys called from Sydney because Uncle Ben had been bitten by a kangaroo. He wasn't hurt badly, but they were worried that he might take on some "kangaroo qualities." Like i said, it was a dream, so there was really no rhyme or reason to it. It was funny, though. When he got home, he tried to put Krissy's baby in his pocket :)
Amy, if you read this on here, email me - would love to see you and Rob before the game. i know you guys were talking about coming to see my place before the next game. My email is jshields@alhi.com
Love you, Mary Kay, Love, Jay

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,
Ok, its been a while for me so i had to catch up with all of your posts (that AOL at your parents place is a little on the slow side!) First of all, let it be said that i am home now and very upset! I miss that cat, and the peace and quiet of that place! but anywho...How good are Lick-M-Aids?!?!? SOOO GOOD!! As for being competitive, you should come to michigan when we play family volleyball games, i hear it all about being competitive. And that dream... I am hoping it is just a sign that you will get a golden puppy when you get back.. in fact, i am gonna hold you to that! Glad to hear you got to spend so much time with your fols! but very glad to hear we will get to see some pictures and hear about the life you have been living! It's crazy when i think about how different it must be, but if anyone could handle it i knew it would be you! I miss you!! keep having fun! Love you! Miss you soo much!! Love, Missy
P.S I stole some CDs...they were soooo good! my friends were going crazy too! so i am gonna copy them and i will bring them back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home