Tuesday, April 05, 2005

"But it looked unlike a dream..."

I open to the ESPN website where I see the score of the game.

Every 30 seconds it is updated

But in a game that moves so quickly, 30 second updates are not enough to keep track of the real action.

Instead every time a new score pops up I’m left scrambling, trying to figure out what happened to get them there

And I’m consumed by an uneasy feeling in those last 5 seconds before the updated score pops up.

I have no way of knowing how things are going. Will it be good news, will it be bad? Either way, I’ll receive it after everyone else already knows, and I’ll have no real course of action once I do find out the score.

Today I feel overwhelmed.

News comes in spurts, which lends itself to a surreal perception of home.

Headlines from the week’s events

It can’t be any other way, I recognize this, but it doesn’t make it any less jarring on the soul.

I had a dream last night that Krissy and Pat had a boy and they named him Joseph. I wasn’t there for it.


I’m afraid to hit the refresh key.

2 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were thinking about you this weekend!! Tim and Dave came over on Saturday and so did my other cousin Bee and one of her college friends. We were sitting around having some cocktails when Bee's friend called her "Liz." i was confused and didn't know who she was talking about at first. Then i said to Bee, "when did you start going by Liz?" She said when she started college, she didn't tell people to call her Bee anymore. Tim immediately said, "Like Mary Kay!!" So we thought about when it was that people stopped calling him Timmy. We decided it was a maturity thing - lose the nickname from your childhood at some point to feel more mature... Which made us wonder... When will i stop being "Jay?" Guess i'm never growing up (and i won't let you, either - Mary Kay!!).
Love you, Love,
Jay

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! Jay passed your link on to me after saying she was addicted, so keep filling her need. I'll never be able to catch up with all the past posts, but it sounds like you're having a great time over there. Hope you continue to have a good experience and stay safe.

Derek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home