Thursday, May 05, 2005

"Chance favours the prepared mind"

A few things to share…

I was whistling down the hallway last night

I love to whistle, in case you didn’t know.

Quick background:
I never used to be able to whistle well. However, in high school when I became angry and wanted to say something “fresh” to my Mom, I’d start to whistle…it kept my mouth busy and me out of trouble. In those days it was said quite often that I needed an “attitude adjustment” (Mom quote) so let’s just say I became a VERY good whistler in a short period of time.

No worries though…post attitude adjustment I now only whistle because it makes me happy. (For those of you who are thinking, “There’s a pre and post attitude adjustment?”…Shut it)

I got to the lift and a man was holding it for me, which is always an extremely kind gesture since the lifts in our building take forever and you can’t use the stairs.

He told me, in a very thick and indistinguishable accent, that he hadn’t heard someone whistling in quite a long time.

He told me that where he comes from, whistling is very good.
“It means you are sensible and clean of soul.”

I rather like that.


A few nights ago we went to see Howard Dean speak. He’s here visiting his daughter who’s doing a semester abroad at Sydney University.

Even though he’s on vacation, he took the time to speak to Democrats Abroad, an organisation that we checked out after seeing their float in the Mardi Gra parade.

The new DNC chair, thousands of miles away from the states, with a small crowd and no media coverage whatsoever, was presented with a unique opportunity to be as straightforward as possible, without all the usual political spin.

It was exactly what I needed.

With the movies we’ve been watching lately (The Corporation, OutFoxed, The World According to Bush etc.) coupled with the news that reaches us from the states, I’ve been wondering out loud, what are we going back to?

It’s overwhelming at times.

But Dean got me fired up and ready for another 12 rounds at least.
There’s no whining or making excuses.
We need to do it better.
And we will.


My parents are off on a wine tour today, Hunter Valley, which I hope they enjoy as much as Jeff and I did.

Having them here has been absolutely wonderful.

I had wondered, before they arrived, if Sydney would remind them of their time in England.

They’ve confirmed that it definitely does.

I said before that this city conjures up the memories that haven’t had a chance to surface in years. I’ve been blessed with little stories about their time in England that I had never had the opportunity to hear before.

I love the quiet times with them.

I love spending time in the sitting room of their B&B, playing Shanghai Rummy and gently (some more than others) teasing each other. My name is Mary, and I am a competitive person. I am a very big sore loser, but some might say an even worse winner…and by God I get it honest.

They love to learn.

That’s what makes them such wonderful guests (That and the free dinners!)

They walk through the museums and carefully glean as much information as possible. And when the tours finish, they’re still asking questions. (And once all the questions are answered, they’ll argue over the details)

They appreciate the process of learning the ins and outs of the city, which is what makes it such a joy to show them around.


Little Things…

-The Sydney Symphony Orchestra was amazing! What a wonderful anniversary gift from Jeff…it was my first time in the Sydney Opera House, and my first time seeing any orchestra perform (other than LT, but I mean come on). The music was absolutely beautiful…it made me miss playing an instrument.

It’s all about that moment when you’ve been working on a song for a really long time, and it finally clicks…your fingers suddenly know all the movements and you’re playing but not really having to think about it anymore. That was my favourite part about playing the piano.

Maybe I’ll take it up again when I get home…anyone have a spare piano lying around that they’re not using?

-I had a dream the other night that Jeff gave birth to a golden retriever puppy! Hello, how messed up is that? In my dream I left for a little bit and came back and my Mom was like, “Jeff’s delivered.” And she’s holding a golden retriever all wrapped up in a white blanket. Then I walk into the room where he is and he’s laying there with his legs halfway propped up in stirrups looking all tired and sweaty!

All this baby talk is starting to infiltrate my subconscious…totally weird

-This just in…Malaysian food is delicious

-My time at this office is drawing to an end…but I promise, before I’m finished, I will share with all of you some stories about my favourite co-worker Gwen...at an estimated 88 years of age Gwen has challenged me and inspired me in ways no one else has

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!

-Mary

6 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love AU, Mary and the Wine Country was amazingly beautiful!!!!I love these lsast 2 blogs. I laughed my head off. Don't forget the little old lady who heard you whistling and said it reminded her of home.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I laughed so loud at work at that dream... people got up in their cubes to investigate. There was no use in telling them because they wouldn't think it's as funny even if they thought it was funny at all, so I didn't show them. But Man, is that funny.

JG

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mary,
I am still laughing at your dream. The best part is picturing Jeff sweaty and tired and IN STIRRUPS! Priceless. I just want to comment quickly on you as a winner/loser. remember the time we were playing speed (a game you and I should never ever play together) but anyway, I lost and spit in your face. Yep, one of my most regrettable moments in life. I could not believe what I did, and how mad you were at me. I am still shocked our friendship survived that episode:) Alright, just thought I would share that. Keep enjoying the time with your parents and your first Mother's Day in years with your mom.
Love ya mary,
Jacks (:

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger fleetwm13 said...

Interesting Jack...that's one of my proudest moments. I've never exhibited such self control as I did when you spit in my face after I won!

I calmly said I was leaving the room to go wash my face off, and if I didn't leave quickly I was going to smack you...Pretty good reaction to someone spitting at you after you win...I'm not quite sure how we survived that either.

But come to think of it, I got even in Canada when I ground your face into the carpet (let's watch the tape when I get home).

How dysfunctional do we sound right now?

-Mary

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so dysfunctional indeed. Just think of how many moments we have been through and thank God we survived them and can now laugh about it all. Accidents, snow storms on a pontoon, fires, floods, everything and then some. Oh the memories. love ya bud.
jacks (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home