Monday, March 07, 2005

Why Darling You're Beautiful!

At last I have my address for anyone who wants it…

Mary Boyd
243 Pyrmont Street/ Apt. #631
Pyrmont, NSW 2009 Australia

This weekend Jeff and I said goodbye to our home at Sleeping With the Enemy and hello to our lovely new abode in the Goldsbrough Building, right in the heart of Darling Harbour.

What can I say about our month at Sleeping With the Enemy?

When we first moved in I noticed that past tenants had signed a board in the room to mark their time spent there and to leave a little message for future travellers.

Our message:

“Here’s to all of our future dwellings being better than this!”
-Jeff and Mary 5/3/05

(They switch the days and months here when writing out the date if there are any of you that are confused)

So, yeah, that about sums it up.

There are many stories that could illustrate just why Jeff and I are so happy to be moving on.

Key Words:

Crazy Eavesdropping Guy
“I’ve turned into the German Girl”
Sneezing Fits
Garbage Day = Never
Prostitute Housemate
Blue Light Special
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Bugs
Chair-Stealing Brits
Am I your mother?
Mean Front Desk Lady that hits on your boyfriend
TV Static
Pushy Swedish Girl
“It’s the system Mate, nothing we can do”
Lights on
Bug Wake up Call

It was an experience and we survived it, with many horrifying (one day they’ll be funny right?) stories to tell. I have to say, it made us appreciate our new place that much more.

Saturday night we headed out to the Mardi Gra Parade (Don’t ask me why they’re celebrating it now, it’s still a complete mystery to me) to see all the floats and lend our support to Nick, who was a Parade Marshall.

Over a million people turn out for the parade, so although we never got to say hi to Nick, we did get to see some great costumes, ladies on motorcycles, and very entertaining floats including one that involved the nuptials of George Bush and John Howard. Did I mention that this was a parade put on by the gay and lesbian community?

The spectacle of it all was a bit reminiscent of Halloweens in Madison. After 4 years of braving the unruly crowds on State Street I felt quite at home in the packed chaos of this street party.

Sunday was spent doing laundry and getting all unpacked. Then it was down to the gym we have in our new building, gotta work those Tim Tams off somehow! Jeff came down after he got off work and joined me for a swim in the pool. Then we headed to Woolworths to fulfil our daydreams of large tubs of strawberry yogurt.

After a wonderful first dinner in our new place and a more than satisfying dessert of strawberry yogurt spread on ANZAC cookies, we sat back and commented on how full and content we were at that moment. We were finally home.

3 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry we missed your call - It was 50 + today Sunday in Chicago - sunshine and blue skys - Sorry to dsay that Illinois lost its last regular season game to Ohio State - 65 64 - 2 points Ahead till last 2 seconds - Three pointer and the game was over - best to loose one now that during the BIG March Madness - Glad you got out of the crazy house - Sounds like a great place to call home - We are so pumped - Mom has her nose in the Aus books starting to put a plan together

Love and miss you

Dad

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Kasey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes about those Temple of Doom sized bugs...I told certain individuals that Australia is infact the most deadly/venomous continent on the planet but did anyone take me seriously oh noooooo. Can't get parents to go to Africa for a safari, but give them a chance to see where Crocodile Dundee is filmed and they all want to visit. What-ever not that I'm bitter or anything. Ah but the chair stealing brits is truely my favorite. did you take a picture of your note? Because those are the things that really add to a photo album.

So did Jeff tell you my amazing success at international dialing? I tried calling again, even managed to hunt down a real live human operator at AT&T (I imagined the poor creature chained in the basement and sounded amazingly similar to that guy in office space on the quest for his stapler), had her place a call to the number Jeff provided me with and some cranky lady picked up the phone speaking an unidentified Asian language. So I'm guessing she is cranky because I woke her in the middle of the night. Do you have a different number than jeff?

Enjoy your five months they go so fast! Treasure each day on the bridge and try to get a picture with crazy long mustache guy on the bridge - you'll be happy you did!
Love you both!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home