Monday, August 01, 2005

Sydneysiders

"Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white."
-Mark Jenkins


I'm coming home.
It's been six months and I'm sitting in the airport waiting for our plane to board.

I cried a lot this morning.
When I said goodbye to Nick I squeezed him tightly, told him I loved him and that I'd see him soon. Boston isn't that far away.

I said goodbye to our city last night.
And it is ours.
We are all over that city.

The memories of you and I are scattered along every single block.
We built a life there, if only for a short time, and I am a stronger person for it.

I'll miss so many things but I will also miss my time with you.
You, the most patient and generous man I have ever known.

It was like meeting you for the first time, uncovering all your little mysteries (strange impersonations included) and falling in love with you all over again.

I know I've said this a countless number of times, but you're the only one who drags me kicking and screaming through fast dreams.

Thank you for showing me the magic door.

I am so excited for all the adventures we have ahead of us (South Africa, South America, did someone mention Japan over dinner?) and all the passport stamps to come.

Let's go home.

3 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger fleetwm13 said...

Somehow when I was trying to reformat the spacing on my entry I deleted all the comments. But I had them saved in another place, so here they are.

At 5:53 AM, Amy Boyd said...
second time reading your blog that my eyes are filled with tears.. (at work) it's so romantic and sweet! I look forward to reading all the future blogs whe you take all those trips... I might have to tag along for the Africa trip!


At 7:34 AM, Anonymous said...
You and your man are on the plane - about four hours out from LA - It is sad to leave but what you carry with you on the plane will never be lost - and the future looks bright - How could it not be bright you are sitting next to the love of your life - and lots of magic doors wait to be opened -

I know one thing - I will have my baby home in less tahn 12 hours - Praise God

Love DADA


At 10:47 AM, Jay said...
i am sure a lot of tears were shed in Sydney and many more will be shed when you land in Chicago. The count down to your return began from the moment you left and so many people are excited to see the woman who returns from Sydney - because she certainly won't be the same one who left six months ago!!
Truly the trip of a lifetime... and you had a wonderful companion - the kind who makes every destination feel like home.
So glad to have been able to enjoy this trip via your blog with you!
Love you, Love, Jay!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Welcome back, Monkey. Can't wait to see you, but I'll understand if there are a couple fetuses you'll be spending most of your time with instead. I simply cannot compete with a glorious amniotic sac.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you both. Hope re-entry isn't too tough! Mary Kay - your story about your hair being healthier than ever b/c of not having a blowdryer or straightener for 6 months has been making me think... i wonder if i could go that long without those tools. It might be worht it, because that is some beautiful healthy hair!!
i love my bracelet and haven't taken it off (well, except to shower).
Love you, Love, Jay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home